It's no secret that this city runs on truckloads of caffeine. According the Washington Post, New Yorkers drink about 6.7 times more coffee than other cities. Surprised? You shouldn't be. This is, after all, the city that never sleeps.
With so much to do and so much to see, it's no wonder that we're all chugging down lattes and macchiatos as if our lives depended on it. Why? Because our lives DO depend on it. I cannot imagine running my day without at least one cup of coffee.
Coffee is like my magic elixir. Just one sip and all my creative juices start flowing, my motivation levels peak, and I feel like I can literally do anything. It's a wonder they haven't listed caffeine as an illegal substance yet...
Anyways, today I wanted to share with you some of my all time favorite coffee shops in this city. I'm no expert, but I have found a couple of great little spots scattered around New York that have delicious coffee at decent prices (and Wi-Fi too)!
So here they are. In no particular order. Because it's hard to play favorites.
- Cafe Haba [203 E 74th St, btwn 2nd and 3rd Ave] - A small, but totally adorable, cafe on the UES. Perfect for getting some work done, people watching, or reading a book.
- Aroma Espresso Bar [161 West 72nd St, btwn Columbus and Amsterdam] - By far my favorite coffee shop on the UWS! The coffee is fantastic, the service is super friendly, and they have a large rooftop terrace to be enjoyed by all when the weather is too good to miss.
- Cake Shop [152 Ludlow St, btwn Stanton and Rivington] - OK, I know I said I wasn't going to pick favorites but this might be my favorite place in the whole world. I've definitely written about Cake Shop before. It was the first coffee shop I ever fell in love with in this city and continues to be my favorite place on the LES to grab a drink (yeah, it's a cafe AND a bar) or a red velvet cupcake.
- Argo Tea [949 Broadway, corner of 23rd St] - For those of you looking for a caffeine boost without the coffee... Argo Tea has the best tea menu I've ever seen at a little shop. My eyes have been opened to a whole new world of obsession!
- Nolita Mart & Espresso Bar [156 Mott St, btwn Grand and Broome] - When I used to work in Nolita this was my go-to coffee stop. They only brew Stumptown Coffee (my favorite) and they serve delicious biscotti and macaroons too. ALSO, during the summer months keep an eye out for tastings and other promotional events hosted in the small market attached to the Espresso Bar!
- B Cup Cafe [212 Avenue B, corner of 13th St] - The quintessential NYC coffee shop, if you ask me. Tucked away in a corner of the East Village, B Cup Cafe has big, bright colored couches and delicious fresh brewed coffees to boot! Cash only, no frills, all kinds of characters welcome. I absolutely adore this place.
- Lark Cafe [1007 Church Ave, Brooklyn] - Another one of those oh-so-typical Brooklyn cafes, but the service is stellar and the salted chocolate chip cookies are to die for. A favorite spot for me and my best bear, Hillary!
I'm always on the hunt for a new coffee shop and I'd love to hear your recommendations. Drop them all in the comments below!!
Buzzing around town, xx Nikbear