Hello friends!! Happy Thanksgiving weekend! I hope you all had some delicious turkey, sides, desserts and wines yesterday. To help you get through your food coma, enjoy this week's Friday Favorites. As an added bonus, at the end of this post I've included pictures for almost all the delicious things I made for Turkey Day 2011.
1. As many of you know, my favorite iPhone app is Insta.gram. I am a hardcore instagrammer. I recently discovered a whole slew of free apps to supplement my IG addiction. If you're a shutterbugbear like me, check out some of these awesome apps: Frame Magic, Pudding Camera, iWatermark, Pixlr-o-matic, and Labelbox. I made the ^above image^ using Frame Magic, Pixlr-o-matic and Labelbox. The possibilities are endless.
2. My parents just got back from a trip back to the motherland, India. My mommy got me this beautiful owl necklace, a super comfy blanket, and a really awesome silk scarf. I love going to India and filling my suitcase with pretty, cheap, colorful trinkets. I always come back with mad presents for all my friends. Yay brown town!
3. On Monday I had the lovely pleasure of having a Skype date with my friend Alana. She is a dear friend from New York who I met at UM and now lives in Costa Rica. She was my partner in food crime last summer and we scoured the city finding gems such as Flex Mussels, Luke's Lobster, and Otto Enoteca Pizzeria. Anyways, on Monday night during out chit chat she told me and my girlies about this awesome Burning Man style festival coming up in her new hometown in Costa Rica called Envision Festival. I'm saving up my money for this! I've been dying to go to Costa Rica and a festival seems like a fantastic excuse.
4. Wednesday marked the beginning of my Thanksgiving weekend. I came home and was reunited with my little bother, his girlfriend, and my bestie/lover Alex. My brother decided that he wanted to go to Dave and Buster's and invited all of us to go with him. None of us ladies had ever been. We were in for a serious treat. Dave and Busters is obviously a place of wonder and magic. It's a place where grown up dreams come true. It's almost as good as Vegas. I was pretty intent on having my 22nd birthday party here in January. Now I'm DEFINITELY having it at a D&B. If you haven't gone, go, especially on a night when they have half off drinks and half off games. Good times!!!
5. THANKSGIVING!!! Turkey Day is one of my favorite holidays. It's a fantastic reason to get together with your family and loved ones and break bread and get drunk. What's not to love? This year I insisted that we do Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house in New Jersey and actually do it on Thanksgiving and actually have a turkey. I wanted a real Thanksgiving at our home and I was going to get it, dammit. Naturally I volunteered to make almost all the appetizers, side dishes and desserts and left my mom with the intimidating task of cooking our beloved turkey. Baby steps - I'll work my way up to roasting a bird one of these days. Anyways, I named our turkey Veronica. (Naming turkeys is a tradition I have - in 2009 I had Herbert in Buenos Aires and in 2010 I had Tom in Palm Beach Gardens.) I went all out and spent an exhausting 7 hours in the kitchen chopping andd cooking and stirring and baking. Phew. But it was all worth it in the end - everything came out fantastically. Check out the full menu and photos below!
Appetizers: Bruschetta, stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, a veggie platter, and a cheese platter Main: Turkey, french bean casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, spicy corn, sourdough bread stuffing, vegetable lasagna, grilled asparagus, biscuits and gravy. Dessert:: Nikbear's Holiday Trifle, pumpkin pie bites, and Grandma's homemade apple pie.
Food coma, commence. I'm actually microwaving leftovers right now to make myself a 'day after' sandwich. I love this weekend. I'm far too hungry to post all my recipes up now, but I've added it to my list of things to do next week. Especially the Holiday Trifle recipe --> that one's a Nikbear original and a serious keeper.
All righty. My sandwich is beckoning me and my tummy is grumbling. It's time to nom, round two. I hope you enjoyed this week's Friday Favorites!!
If you’re looking for more giggles and trinkets of joy, feel free to check out my twitter @npamani or my tumblr, The Daily QuirCk. If you want a peak at my life as a shutterbugbear, check out my instagr.am stream, @nikbear.
Gravy flavored besitos, xx Nikbear