A few weeks ago a dear friend and inspiring colleague of mine, Coach Jennie, listed out 10 Spectacular Things that were happening to her right in that moment. It launched a mini movement and scores of other colleagues hopped on the bandwagon to list out 10 spectacular things happening in their respective lives in that very moment. I'm here to join the tribe. So let's do this.
- My past few months have been packed to the brim with some incredible adventures all over the world. I had the distinct pleasure of touring California for two weeks with one of my best friends, attending Burning Man for the first time with my Kostume Kult family, visiting Hong Kong and China to walk some of the biggest trade shows on the planet, and spending Diwali for the first time with my grandparents, uncle, aunt, and cousins in my motherland itself. There are few things in this world that make me as happy as traveling escapades and I feel incredibly lucky to have created so many amazing memories in 2014.
- As much as I love traveling all over the world, there's no place like home. And it has been so nice to come back to my little apartment in NYC and all my friends who missed me just as much as I missed them... that too just in time for autumn! The leaves are changing colors, there is a crispness in the air, and the smell of warm apple cider and pumpkin pies is intoxicating. My calendar is quickly filling up with social engagements and I can't wait to spend some quality time with the people I love most in the city I love most.
- The holidays are just around the corner! My holiday season always gets kicked into full gear with the arrival of Diwali and Halloween. It means that Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and my birthday are all just a hop, skip, and a jump away. I've already started planning my Thanksgiving menu and I have every intention of roping my brother and 5 cousins into helping this year. There's gotta be some perks to being the eldest sister, right? ASSEMBLE, MINIONS. WE'VE GOT A BIG BIRD TO ROAST.
- I've got some exciting new business opportunities in the works. They involve meshing old world experience with new age technology and some of the things I am most passionate about as a young entrepreneurial female. I've never felt more confident in my capabilities, more optimistic about the cards in my hand, or more driven to make it all happen. I'll share more details when I can, but just you wait and see what this little bear has in store. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.
- I feel emotionally balanced for the first time in a LONG time. I'll be the first to admit that for a while I was definitely suffering from a depression. I would cancel weekend plans to sit alone at home watching the same dumb chick flick I had seen a hundred times. I would go days, sometimes even a whole week, without seeing the outside world. I would actively avoid phone calls and text messages from my family and friends. I would have to jump over piles of dirty clothes to navigate the chaotic war zone formerly known as my apartment just because I couldn't be bothered to get off the couch and put things away. I was, in a word, a mess. But a solid year of putting myself first and doing what makes me happy without giving a damn about anyone else has made a world of a difference.
- I draft this post from the comfort of my parents' house in New Jersey - and if you've ever been to a Pamani BBQ or met my dog, Kodi, you know that this place is pretty spectacular. In a few months my parents will be moving out of this house that has been our beloved home for the past decade. This house has seen me through my semi-awkward high school years, my first kiss, two proms, two graduations, a college acceptance scream-a-thon, my first house party, countless BBQs and sleepovers, ten years of big family Thanksgiving dinners, and so much more. It's going to be sad to leave this place but I'm looking forward to hosting our last Thanksgiving here and moving on to a new home to build new memories in. Onwards march!
- My siblings are growing up. I was born the oldest grandchild on both sides of my family - and I have to say it has been an honor and a pleasure to watch my younger brother and cousins mature and become actual people. I am so proud of all the wonderful things my brother Kunal and my cousins Kareena and Krish are doing in college. And to watch the young'ns work hard to follow in our footsteps is endearing and awe-inspiring all at once. There is no greater joy in life than to blaze a trail for your siblings and support them along the way. I love my family to the moon and back, and I can't wait to see what wonderful things life has in store for them. Big love and encouragement from your Nicole Didi. Always.
- On a related familial note, I consider it a great blessing in life to have all four of my grandparents still alive and well. I recently spent a week in Gurgaon, India with my maternal grandparents. Last year my Nana survived a stroke and to say the past year has been a difficult adjustment for our whole family is a serious understatement. I am so proud of him and my Nani for adapting, persevering, and doing it all with a smile. It was wonderful to be able to spend some quality time with them, filling them in on my life, lending a helping hand wherever I could, and just filling their home with some laughter and life, albeit for a short period of time. I love you guys very much and I hope that you continue to make excellent progress till my next visit!!!
- My generation is pretty spectacular and I have to say... we're doing some pretty spectacular things. I've reached the stage of my life where everyone I know is doing big things. I take great pride in my friends, neighbors, colleagues, peers, competitors, and even people who are completely removed from my life but are doing INCREDIBLE things with their days. It's amazing to actually watch as our generation steps up to the plate and works to make the world a better place, a more efficient place, a more balanced place, a healthier place, a safer place, a more democratic place, a fairer place, a more sustainable place. We got this.
- This blog lives! Despite the fact that my posts have dwindled (hey, being a busy bear means that sometimes things get sacrificed), this blog is still here. As a digital safe space for me to ramble my thoughts out and track my progress as a human. And that's pretty spectacular, if you ask me.
And there ya have it. 10 Spectacular Things Happening Right Now. What are yours? Hop on the bandwagon and link to your post below in the comments!
Hope you all are doing so, so well.